The sole purpose of the Wheat Ridge Optimist Club is to provide programs that support kids and families. We support these programs with personal service as well as financial donations.
We provide food certificates, clothing certificates and toys for families in Wheat Ridge at Christmas.
AWRSAY (Arvada/Wheat Ridge Service Ambassadors for Youth) – we combine forces with local Kiwanis clubs, local Rotary clubs, fellow Optimist clubs and other education-related organizations to select 10-12 recipients for scholarships to Red Rocks Community College. Applicants have overcome some type of adversity to succeed and are rewarded with financial support to get started with their college education.
Students (grades 7 to 11) submit an essay on an assigned topic. The essays are judged at the local club level (small scholarship). Winners have the chance to advance to the regional and then national levels for additional scholarships.
Students (grades 7 to 11) speak on an assigned subject. The speeches are judged at the local club level (small scholarship). Winners have the chance to advance to the regional and then national levels for additional scholarships.
– a quiz event for middle school students from all over Colorado
– a study of the Constitution and a day at the state capitol for 3rd graders
– a basketball skills event for boys & girls ages 8-13.
- Free-throw shooting, dribbling and passing tests
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd places
- Contests start at the local level; winners advance to a regional competition and the finals are on the Denver Nuggets’ floor at the Pepsi Center.
Bringing Up Grades (B.U.G.) –
- Teachers in the elementary school identify students in grades 1-4 who have worked hard and brought their grades up.
- At a semi-annual awards assembly, these students receive a certificate, a book, a bug bookmark, and lots of other “bug stuff”. They get their picture taken and they are acknowledged for their achievement.
- Sometimes they even get a visit from a bug (or someone dressed as a bug)