The Wheat Ridge Optimist Club was established in 1957. Our membership includes men and women who live or do business in or near Wheat Ridge, and who are dedicated to serving the youth of the Wheat Ridge community through service projects.
- Pancake Supper – an annual autumn event in the Wheat Ridge community for over 50 years and our primary fundraiser. We serve a pancake dinner and hold a silent auction. Funds support our Christmas program and other Optimist programs throughout the year.
- Christmas program – members, friends & families contribute to our Christmas program that brings food certificates, clothing certificates, and toys to over 80 Wheat Ridge families that need a little help at the holidays.
- Wine Tasting – a fun, festive February party and silent auction
- Carnation Festival – we participate in the City of Wheat Ridge’s annual August community festival
We participate in programs for youth in our community and beyond:
- Scholarships (AWRSAY, Essay Contest, Oratorical Contest & Carl Cerveny scholarship)
- Brain Bowl – a quiz event for middle school students from all over Colorado
- Bringing Up Grades (B.U.G.) – a rewards program for elementary school children
- Tri-Star – a basketball skills event for boys & girls ages 8-13
- JOOI – Junior Optimist groups to support teenagers’ involvement in their community
We meet for breakfast:
- Club members gather each Wednesday for breakfast, some club updates & business, and an interesting speaker: 7-8am at the Wheat Ridge Recreation Center (4005 Kipling Street) Join us for networking at 6:45 a.m.
We are a member of Optimist International:
- An organization of over 2,900 member (local) clubs, the International Organization supports local club growth and manages several organization-wide programs for:
- Childhood Cancer
- Internet Safety
- Junior Golf Championship
- Each local club is autonomous and run by local Club members